Residencies & International Collaborations

This is a Gem. This website lists a lot of residency institutions by geographic location on a map! Then each individual residency host has their own page with all the necessary information: location, duration, content, and then crucially if the host pays for the residency, or the artist has to pay for the residency.

Searching by Location

Of course one way of doing it is to look for a location that interests you. I love remote, isolated, wild and free places: vast dramatic landscapes: pristine nature.

So obviously the first place on my list is Mongolia. Only one is listed here, but maybe googling will give more results…


“The project is funded by Swiss Development Agency and MCASA. The NOMAD SPIRIT project aims to raise public awareness on potential threats to vital environmental and cultural resources in rural areas of Mongolia, caused by mining activities. The selected curator and artists will are expected to travel to the environmentally damaged area and collaborate with local nomadic community on concept development. Performance must be held on the site and documented by the selected Mongolian artists.”

Pretty damn specific. Still it has me inspired, working with Mongolian Artists, visualising the earth’s distress through performance. Something shamanic about it.



“NEAC expect the artists reach their goals by working on their individual projects. It’s a challenge to work out of the comfort of their own studio. The organizers hope the artists will broaden their vision by talking and working together with local artists and craftsman. Artists get the change to give lectures and exhibition of their work at the NEAC residency building…  Workshop space for ceramics, painter rooms, lecture room, music room, library etc.”

Wow, so this one is completely open. This is more the residency for me. However I really want to make things. I want to cast metal and glass, work with local crafts people. Learn traditional buddhist crafts. My personal desire, right now, is to make sacred object. I want to make mythological objects: Zeus’s thunder-bolt, Indra’s Devi Astras; sacred object that bring a specific vibration into the world. So though there is the personal freedom here, I think I will need to research if I can cast metal here. At least, I am sure I can work with clay, and also wax. I will have to reach out for more information.


I fucking love Iceland. Most pristine nature I have ever experienced. There are a few residencies there, they seem mainly to be visual arts, writing, or performance. Except forúk-arts-centre Incredibly they offer all the equipment you need to make some sick “smart” product: “As a complement to the local research centre which has a 3D printer and lasercutter our artists can access, we have LEAP motion gesture controllers, a USB microscope, EEG brainwave scanner, microcontrollers (with a large range of sensors), oscilloscope, multimeter and soldering iron.”


AOTEAROA! Only two listed here. Maybe googling will give more results. Anyway they are both just rooms in secluded places, no real workshops for ceramic, glass, or metal. Basically Ok if I wanted to paint or go deep into graphic design, or poetry. Which I may well take the time to do. I hear the nature here is from another age. And I sooo want to work with a Maori artist to make sacred objects.

Residencies with Actual Workshops

So as you can see most residencies are basically personal retreats that provide a room and an internet connection. My heart is bursting with the overwhelming desire to MAKE. And I know even with just paper, glue, and ink, or just a laptop I will find a way to make, but my heart is set on making sacred objects, and expressing sacred visions.

Luckily the site offers a list of craft based residencies:  These hosts offer some fantastic workshops. Literally my mouth waters with the possibilities of making in them.


(and one in australia that was cropped out)

and you can also search by category:


University is an interesting one. They mostly offer funded residencies with access to great workshops:

“The Artist-in-Residence will be expected to:

  •  commit to a two-year period in Helsinki working with a personal project
  • dedicate a 4 – 6 week period per annum to teaching
  • arrange one workshop per annum related to the project
  • give at least two public presentations per annum

access to a variety of facilities for creative endeavours at the various departments of the school…”

I am not sure if they are still continuing this, but I think I will email anyway to check. Otherwise I can always do a masters there.

This is just one database of Art residencies, and even this one site will take some researching. I am going to have to reflect on what I truly want to express as an artist and go from there. I will write a personal statement blog post about it. But essentially after 6 years of being told how to make, I want to break the mould: break free, and find myself as the mystic and visionary artist I am desire to be.


If the residency is not funded by the host there is another option:

The British Art Council have a

I want funding to undertake a residency, is this eligible?

This fund is to enable artists and/or creative practitioners to develop international contacts and networks and to collaborate internationally with specific partners. This fund is not intended to support residencies that are offered by organisations whose prime purpose is to offer residencies awarded by invitation or open application. We can only fund residencies that are a unique tailored experience for the artist applying.

So while its not really for residencies, they are looking for collaborative projects between a UK and foreign artist. A collaboration with another artist sounds utterly amazing. It would be good to find someone from another culture who also wants to express sacred objects, and see where that leads: where wisdom is universal and expression is an accessory.

For this to work, I have to make it into a project: write a cover letter and research sacred art artists to send it to. And then if I find one, I would have to write a proposal etc. Which is something I will probably put energy into, but first I would like to find myself as a creative first. Which means my first priority would be a residency. Although, now I think about it, maybe someone to stimulate and provoke me could help draw my sacred visions out of me.

This is from the Art councils pdf:

“We are also particularly interested in receiving applications from practitioners and producers in the fields of theatre, dance, literature, music and cross-disciplinary work. Historically, AIDF has funded more individuals working in the field of visual arts than other disciplines.

The programme is open to emerging and mid-career artists and/or creative practitioners in any of the eligible artforms (see page 9):

  •   who have received recognition for their work in England
  •   who do not have extensive international experience or whose internationalexperience is limited to countries other than those that are the subject of

    their proposal

  •   whose work will benefit from launching better international networks – eitherartistically or in terms of developing an audience for their work
  •   who can demonstrate an interest in their work from an overseaspartner/host, demonstrated by a letter of support from the overseas partner/host.

    Applicants can use the fund to do one or all of the following:

  •   develop their artistic practice through working internationally
  •   collaborate with and learn from artists and/or creative practitionersinternationally
  •   create early relationships with artists and/or creative practitioners with alonger term view of developing international markets and audiences for their work in another country and building their profile internationally

    Applicants will need to conduct their own research and have identified and communicated with a potential partner/host in the country they wish to visit. Applicants are asked to provide a letter from their host as part of the application process.


Applications should include either:

  •   one or two international visits, outside the UK (by the applicant) or
  •   one international visit, outside the UK (by the applicant) and one visit toEngland (by the overseas partners/collaborators)


    You can apply for a minimum of £1,000 up to a maximum of £5,000, not including any personal access costs you might have.”